Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, March 25, 2013

Un Nuevo Papa

My internet ran out and I haven't figured out how to recharge it yet, so I am back to internet once a week. So now I will take advamtage of the PC wifi (or wee-fee as Guatemalans and I like to call it).

So the new Pope was elected and he is from Argentina! He is the first Latin American Pope (but you probably knew that). Anyway it is a big deal here especially because it is such a Catholic country. I think that most people who have TVs here were watching the news that day (at least my host mom and Kelley's host mom were). And let me tell you there are many reasons to be happy about this new Pope.
1) First Latin American Pope
2) According to my host mom lots of people thought that if a black Pope was elected that that would signify the end of the world. Fewf. Dodged a massive bullet for humanity on that one.


This is a little editorial that was in the "Prensa Libre" (Guatemala's most popular newspaper). It is now outdated but oh well it's interesting. If you were wondering what the air quality is like here this perfectly describes it as TERRIBLE. All of the buses and cars billow black smoke (humo) and trash is often burned outside. Trash is also basically just thrown on the ground here. There is trash in the streets, in the parks, in my backyard, everywhere. I myself have been tempted to (but never have) thrown trash on the ground because there is not a single trash can in my town.
In the Vatican.      In Guatemala. 

2 comments:

  1. GREAT cartoon!

    The NY Times had an article yesterday noting that there is a minor ruckus over whether the new Pope should be considered Latino. The reasoning is that his parents came from Italy so he is not a true native. Easily disputed, but there seems to be controversy in everything. Clearly Guatemalans accept him as a landsman (fellow villager).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cartoon, Meg. I hadn't given air quality in Guatemala a thought. Love seeing the posts - keep them coming.
    Have you ever been to a Buca di Beppo restaurant? Their restaurants have a "Pope table" - it is quite special, and we sat at the Pope table the other night for dinner - I will write you about it, rather than put all the details here. Their Pope table already had a picture of Pope Francis - I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete