Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Dados de Salud

aka health dice. Why do so many things just sound better in Spanish?


Anyway, they are a healthy schools tool. Each side of the die has a different body part on it: nails, hands, face, hair, clothes, feet, or occasionally one of these is swapped out for something like lice. The idea is that each morning in every classroom the teacher will throw the die and they will check the body part of whatever side lands face up. It is to make a game out of daily hygiene and also to add a random element to the checks to hopefully motivate the kids to be clean all of the time. Trust me they aren't.

Every month all of the directors in the district that I work in have an all day meeting (8-12:30). At today's meeting I did a sort of arts and crafts with them and had them make their own dados de salud. Guatemalans love arts and crafts. It was a hit. Now hopefully they will replicate this activity in their schools so that each classroom will have one. I'm not holding my breath, but it's a start. Other notable things that happened in the meeting: my counterpart, the superintendent, announced that someone in the department of education is trying to put a stop to sports days. My thoughts: PLEASE DO. Also, after the meeting I had two different directors come up to me and say that they too would like to work with me. YAY! I'm going to do my first visits with them next week.
All of the directors (there are more dados hidden in the crowd)

3 comments:

  1. I thought I recognized a louse on that die. Hurray for you for getting 2 more directors on board! Keep on keepin' on. Sending you hugs from KC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. You would think that all the teachers would be enthusiastic to adopt this. In fact, I might try it with my students: Dados de entrepreneurship.

    Some of the directors look like they are dressed for our weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever idea and from the picture of the Directors, it looks like they did enjoy the activity. I love the smile on the woman on the right with the big dice. You go girl! Mom

    ReplyDelete