Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Learning How to Make Tamalitos

There seems to be some confusion on the internet as to what a tamalito is. Maybe Guatemalan tamaltios are different? The best way I know how to describe it is like a tortilla but in the form of a tamale. It appears to be the same ground corn mixture that is used to make tortillas, but is then formed into an oblong ball, wrapped in the leaf of corn stalks, and boiled. They are served piping hot with meals and are very dense.

There is a lot of corn consumed here in Guatemala from tamalitos and tortillas to Corn Flakes. I believe that this has something to do with the fact that corn has been a part of Guatemalan's life and diet since the beginning. Have you ever heard that Guatemalans are "gente de la maiz" (people of corn)? That's because in the Mayan creation story the first humans were made out of corn.

I have a hard time eating tamalitos by themselves or worst with another carbohydrate like rice, but I like dipping them in sauces and soups. At special occasions such as weddings and birthdays they always serve tamalitos instead of tortillas. Perhaps this is because of the amount of work it takes to shape and cook tortillas (although I don't think making tamalitos is the easiest either). The short video below is of my host sister, Maria, explaining how to make a tamalito.

One of my perfectly wrapped tamalitos
The basket in the center bottom is filled with tamalitos

4 comments:

  1. Gracias Maria y Megan. As I watched Maria I thought the same thing you said a few seconds later: She makes it look so easy. But you seemed to pick it up quickly (or had you been practicing all afternoon?). How long are they boiled?

    That is a rather big bowl filled with the tamalitos. Do they make a supply that can be stored for a few days or are those all for one day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lesson.. it's always more fun to cook and prep in a group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still thinking about the wonderful pepian - I would like to try a bowl of pepian with a tamalito.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More great pictures - thank you! Please tell Maria that she gives a very good tamalito lesson. My favorite part of the video is the little girl who sneaks in for a taste of the tamalito dough.

    ReplyDelete