Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Things That Don't Exist in Guatemala

I really should have started this list at the beginning of my Peace Corps service as I'm sure it would have been pages long, but below are a couple things that are thought of as commonplace in the United States, but simply don't exist in Guatemala. Guatemala is a poor country so some of this won't be surprising. Disclaimer: I'm sure they do in some places such as the cosmopolitan capital, but not anywhere that I found out in the rural Western Highlands.
  • Substitute teachers - If the teacher can't come in the kids don't either.
  • Indoor heating/cooling.
  • Parking lots for schools.
  • Hot water coming out of faucets.
  • Subways.
  • Washers and dryers in every town (the closest laundromat to me was an hour bus ride away and I didn't know a single home in my town with one).
  • Babysitters (that's what family is for).
  • Refrigerators (I didn't know of a single family in my town with one - that's right I did't have one either).
  • Wifi (I did buy a modem and was able to buy internet that way).
  • School buses (to bring kids to school) - kids walk to school often with only their siblings. American school buses on the other hand are driven down through Mexico, given a killer pain job, and used as the public buses in Guatemala.
  • Bus passes - Pay the man who comes walking through the bus cash (and it better be exact change or else you probably aren't getting that back).
  • House pets. (At least in the rural villages). Animals serve a purpose and that is to protect the house. There were a ton of street dogs in my town and 0 dogs were ever walked or put on leashes.
  • Supermarkets (at least in my town - we had an outdoor market twice a week).

5 comments:

  1. On the other hand, mobile phone service seems even more prevalent in rural areas of Guate than in the U.S. I was surprised at how coverage existed even in remote areas. Maybe in part because there are few, if any, restrictions on where they can site cell towers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why the worst cell service in Guatemala seems to be in Antigua. Because it is a UNESCO world heritage site they have to hide the cell towers way up in the mountains.

      Delete
  2. Hi Megan,
    My name is Liz PASCUAL and I am an OR nurse in Savannah, GA. I do medical mission work in Guatemala and Africa. My daughter is a RPCV; Rwanda 2011-2013. Because of her, I now try to meet up with a PCV wherever I go just to bring a care package from the US. I will be in Antigua Feb. 12, 2015 for 8 days. If you are interested or know someone who may be, let me know. Good luck to you, and thank you for your service. Liz Pascual

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan,
    I am getting ready to join Peace Corps Guatemala to be a volunteer with the Healthy Schools program - finding your blog has been so helpful in my preparation process! :) In this post, you mention having internet access and I'm wondering how that works for you and what I can expect - I'm trying to buy a laptop that will work best with the available technology. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So glad this could be of help. Most volunteers buy modems which plug into the USB ports in computers so as long as you have that you should be ok! If you have any more questions I would be more than happy to answer them as best as I can. If you would like feel free to email me at: m.compaine@gmail.com

      Delete