Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, June 10, 2013

San Bartolo Aguas Calientes or Why I Took a Bath with 20 Other People

This past weekend I went to a little welcome get together for a couple of us new volunteers in Totonicapan. We had a delicious lasagne lunch and then headed to the baños. These are little pools that are filled with natural hot water from the mountains. They were like big communal hot tubs. Guatemalans really bathe here. We all brought shampoo and soap and took bucket showers on the side of the pools. I was impressed and will definitely be coming back! It also only cost 1Q to get in! Meaning almost 8 people could go bathe for the day and swim in the pool which also has the thermal hot water for $1! It seems like it is a good Guatemalan family activity. There were husbands washing their wives and vise versa and women washing their children. I saw an extremely old couple rinsing each other - both were covered only at their waist. Although most people wear clothes over a bathing suit (and there were definitely no bikinis) some women took off their tops or barely covered themselves to really get a good wash. 

While I was there I heard "Senyo (short for Senora) Mega" (the n on my name is rarely pronounced or sometimes if it is it is as an afterthought after a hard A - like MegAaan). A couple kids were there from two of my schools and they recognized me. I guess it would be hard not to notice a group of gringos talking in English. It was kind of neat and I spent some time talking to them as I was getting the shampoo out of my hair. 

All clean - this is the first time that I wore shorts in public in Guatemala -
it isn't socially acceptable for women to wear shorts - I took them off ASAP. 
Luisa and Bill - they are the two who live closest to me 

6 comments:

  1. The hot baths sound wonderful. Do they have a sulfur odor? The hot springs that I have visited come with a sulfur smell - but it's tolerable. How fun to run into students. Sounds like a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day! And the hot baths didn't have any sort of unpleasant smell!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that you have access to a warm shower (even if it is a bucket bath). I remember seeing Nepalese in Katmandu bathing in a public square. I was certainly surprised to see that for the first time. Luisa and Bill look like nice volunteer neighbors to have. Do you enjoy being with them? Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like being near them. It's nice to be able to collaborate and meet up without traveling an hour on the bus (and only travel half an hour).

      Delete
  3. Its good that the banos are fairly close to you. And what a nice touch having students recognize you and remember your name. I'd say your integration into the community is going well. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. me encanta San Bartolo,,, :) i am from San barrr!! Guatemala! ;)

    ReplyDelete