Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, July 22, 2013

Sometimes it Just Hits Me....How Cool is it that I Live Here?!?!

There is no short supply of things that really bug me about Guatemala (the machismo culture, male chauvinism, being one of the main ones), but sometimes I take the time to look at the beautiful scenery or it just hits me that it is really just cool that I live here. I got this feeling last night when I went down for dinner and no one was there and there was no fire in the wood burning stove or food cooking on the stove top. I went out back and found my host mom in our wooden shack kneeling before two small fires making tortillas, and cooking beans and some kind of corn mixture that I think she feeds to our pigs. She has a nice smile in the first picture, but the second picture more accurately represents the lighting and captures the ambiance.

5 comments:

  1. I love your sentiment Meg. I believe in a balance to most things but I hope there are more 'cool that I live here moments' than things that bug you. Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why was your host Mom cooking over the open fires in the back rather than the stove? Have you seen her out there before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why she is sometimes out there - it only happens once and a while. The wood is stored out there so maybe she just didn't want to bring it into the house before making a fire? Saaaaaber (who knows - actually I'll write a post about this word it is one of my favorites).

      Delete
  3. I agree. The smile on your host Mom's face as she cooks over the open fire in a shack is priceless and beautiful and it is wonderful that you can appreciate that beauty and are grateful for the opportunity to live in a country with such a rich culture. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this glimpse of your host mom and her life. Glad you caught this scene and shared it.

    ReplyDelete