Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Moving on up

This past month I moved to a new house. As it turns out my 12 year old host brother had been breaking into my room and stealing from me. It took me a while to figure it out, but he kept on getting bolder with his stealing eventually using a knife to pry open the mirrors on my locked dresser (I know this because he left my knife on the floor). Anyway all in all he stole my Ipod and over 500Q. When I moved out I got all of this back. Although I was out of my house and basically homeless for three weeks, it actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I now live with this really awesome HUGE host family. I have been there for a couple of weeks now and I still haven’t learned all of their names or figured out how they are all connected. From what I have heard my host parents have nine children (not all of them live with us), but some of those who do have children so the age range in the house is from 55-2. So far my favorite is Princess (yes that is her name – it’s not even Princesa). She is three years old and adorable. I don’t have a good picture of her yet but I’m working on it.

I also live with a female Jika volunteer (Japan’s version of the Peace Corps). Minako just turned 40 and she is super nice. I really like spending time with her. It is also nice not to be the only one who doesn’t fully speak Spanish or doesn’t know exactly what’s going on all of the time.

I have a nice little room with four big windows, two of which look out over the little river in my town which runs next to my house. I am also going to have a separate little kitchen. Right now it is just a room with a wood-burning stove in it. There are no outlets in the room so I am going to have to figure something out for my electric stove-top and toaster oven. I still share a bathroom with the family, but THERE IS ELECTRICITY/LIGHT IN THERE! Also THERE IS ALMOST ALWAYS HOT WATER FOR SHOWERS. Posh Corps (not actually but it is a huge step up)! Pictures of the house and room to come. 

Genesis / Crystal
Minako is on the left

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend named Princess too. And her siblings' names are Prince, Promise, and Becca haha.. I guess they ran out of creative names for the last child

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice even Princess is wearing a traje tipico. Except for one girl in your photos from the first GLOW camp (who was wearing jeans), all the girls and women of all ages seem to wear trajes. Do you see woman in pants at all in the village? Is it more diverse in dress when you are in Xela or other larger towns?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to read this account of your new host family, and Minako. Is Minako wearing a party hat in the photo? Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to read about your new home and your new host family.... Hope to hear more in person, soon.

    ReplyDelete