Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Friday, March 14, 2014

Ecological Park in My Site

A short 5ish minute walk from my house there is this really cool ecological park. It just opened up a couple months ago and it is really nice. There are trails through it, although the entrance is on top of a hill so any way you go you are in for a pretty good climb coming back. It costs 5 Quetzales to get in (about 64 cents). They have a little soccer area, swings, a slide, waterfall, and a stream. I am hoping to use it to do some good environmental education in my schools. Below are some pictures that I took when I went with a couple of my host siblings one afternoon.

The bridge was kind of bouncy which didn't seem like a good sign
Princess and Jamie
Greenhouse / baby tree nursery

4 comments:

  1. What makes this an "ecological" park as opposed to just a "park?" The greenhouse? Are there classes or are there naturalists available to give talks about the nursery or other park features? Do you know who created it or owns it? The town? Is there a person who collects the 65Q. I guess if you know who collects the money you will know who runs the park.

    It does look like a lovely retreat. Can you tell if it is getting much traffic?

    So many questions, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my brother lived in Costa Rica there was a park just like that next to his house. It cost $1 to get in, but people with HUGE guns guarded to make sure you paid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful park. Bonus that it is close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'll be going across that bridge. It is a beautiful park. Mom

    ReplyDelete