Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Huehuetenango: Black Salt and the Lookout Point

Huehuetenango (pronounced way-way-ten-ango) is a "yellow zone" for Peace Corps Volunteers so we have to fill out a special form and take private transportation in order to visit. I am the the closest volunteer to Huehuetenango and sometimes take Huehue buses to go to my site because they pass directly through it. So one weekend a group of PCVs and myself decided to take a trip for a friend's birthday. Some people went to visit the Mayan ruins of Zaculeu, but I had already been (check out my blog post HERE) so I got a head start on the coffee drinking and black salt trying.

Black salt is mined up in Huehuetenango and we got to try some while we were there. It definitely has a different flavor. I definitely wouldn't use it in the place of normal salt, but it is kind of cool and tasted good on orange slices and mango.

Black salt sold in the market
Women selling produce in front of the church
The typical traje-wearing garlic barbie (close up of above pic)

We drove about an hour out of the way to visit this lake which we were told was beautiful. I think there might have been a little language barrier issue here. 


We also went to "El Mirador" the viewpoint/lookout. Apparently on a non-cloudy day you can see most? all? of the volcanoes in Guatemala. Unfortunately when we went there it was cloudy. It was still a pretty sweet view, though.


There were also two abandoned houses there that for the exploring. 

3 comments:

  1. Black salt on the table could present a problem: Which is the salt and which is the pepper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried googling black salt but didn't learn much. What makes it black - lava? Love the garlic Barbie. We didn't have Garlic Barbie when I was growing up. Also love the fixer-upper houses you found. With just a bit of work, those could be really fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find out much information on the origins of the black salt either. What I do know is that it is mined that way - there are no man-made processes that make it black.

      Delete