Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, June 22, 2015

Mayan Numbers...Way Better than Roman Numerals


Dot = 1
Horizontal line = 5 
Shell = 0 

I learned the Mayan number system! I like it so much better than Roman numerals which make very little sense to me - you have to memorize which letters mean different numbers and how their positions affect their value. In Mayan numeration however, there are only three different symbols that together can make up all of the numbers in the world – the positions of these symbols similarly affect their value. I don't think that anyone actually uses Mayan numbers anymore (the graphics), but I think they are cool and they are still taught in schools here. 

That simple. There is also what I would describe as an elevator or shelf system where one number can take up many horizontal lines and each level has a multiplying effect on the symbol (dot, shell, or line) that is there. The bottom line is normal and is for numbers 1-19. The second level you multiply by 20 – so if there is a horizontal line in the second level that = 100 (the horizontal line=5, 5X20=100). The third level you multiply by 400 so if there is a dot in the third level that = 400 (400X1=400).

Easy peasey lemon squeezy. Just kidding. I think I will stick to the decimal number system. 

1 comment:

  1. I was doing a project for school, and this helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete