Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My New Motto: Be Weird

To Guatemalans we as Americans are so weird. In my experience I have found that they are in general really fascinated with American culture, but on a personal level they find us weird. They find it weird that we like to be alone in our rooms sometimes. A difference that I discuss more in an older post.

One woman tripped over a rock she was so busy staring at me as I walked by. I find this to be especially amusing because I pretty much looked like everyone in my village with the exception that I was a little taller, had glasses, and wore pants/American clothes.  So the way I see it this gives me license to be a little weird – they won’t see it as any weirder than I already am so why not.

A prime example. Welcome to my every-day life.

1 comment:

  1. He is wearing American clothes, too. Well, on top.
    BTW, I'm taking my bag from Guatemala on a trip to TX this weekend... makes me smile. I wonder if Texans will think Missourians are weird? For sure, we are.

    ReplyDelete