Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Happy All Saints Day Guate-Style

The two years I was in Guatemala for All Saints Day (November 1) were two of my favorite and most memorable days. The giant kite festival and drunken horse races* were both events were like nothing I had ever experienced before. *The men riding the horses were drunk not the horses

The first year I went to the giant kite festival in Sumpongo, SacatepĂ©quez. They were GIANT - multiple stories tall and made completely out of tissue paper! Check out my blog post on the giant kite festival!
This wasn't even close to the tallest kite there
Such beautiful detail!

The second year I experienced the drunken horse races (the men were drunk not the horses) in Todos Santos, Huehuetenango. Check out my blog post on the drunken horse races!
They were literally all completely drunk

Oh and I can't forget the traditional All Saints Day food, Fiambre

No comments:

Post a Comment