Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, November 16, 2015

Hiking to the Tallest Point in Central America: Volcano Tajumulco

Guatemala isn't only the land of eternal spring, but also the land of volcanos both active and dormant. During Peace Corps training I hiked Volcano Pacaya where we roasted marshmallows on the natural heat coming from the volcano. I also hiked Volcano Acatenango which was a full 12 hours up and down. I'm glad that I didn't but man, it was tough! Volcano Tajumulco, the tallest point in Central America, was my last and favorite in-country hike. We left Xela (Quetzaltenango) at 4am where we were picked up by a tour company. Our hike guide and driver took us an hour to the department of San Marcos. From there we began our trek!

I know it doesn't look that impressive from this angle...

We met these two Guatemalans (see below) near the summit. Our tour guide had to stay with an American tourist that was ill prepared for the hike and altitude and couldn't make it to the top. They were such nice people. Both the man and his wife took sips of the alcohol that they had brought with them and offered some to us. (I didn't think this would help me make it to the top so I politely declined). He also smoked cigarettes on the last part of the climb. At that altitude and at that level of hiking I had a hard enough time breathing without smoking or drinking. Another thing that got me was the woman was in full mayan traje (pronounced traw-hey) which has a very restrictive full-length skirt. She was also wearing small wedge shoes. Guatemalan women are so hardcore. I cannot believe the things that they do while wearing traje. I couldn't help but feel less justified in my hiking struggles as I was huffing and puffing in my running shoes and workout clothes. Oh well.
Note the alcohol in his hands

She noticed that I was taking pictures and soon she was asking me to stop and take pictures of her at various points on the hike or in front of different scenery. We never exchanged information - maybe she just liked posing for pictures. Whatever it was I was more than happy to oblige and take her picture. Below is one of my favorites of her.
Hiking in Mayan traje (which isn't even a little bit stretchy) and wedge heels

No comments:

Post a Comment