Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Movin' Out (and In)

I officially am now living in the Department of Totonicapan in Guatemala. This is where I will be living and working for the next two years. I have one room on the second floor of a family's house. It is a tiny little place, my house is surrounded by fields and the other day walking back I helped untangle a sheep where it was caught up in its rope and wire fence. This little town is very Mayan. Most of the women wear the traditional huipil and corte. These are very pretty and I will put up pictures soon. These are two pictures I took from my door onto my roof deck.

7 comments:

  1. Untangled a sheep, nbd, day in the life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew those lambing skills developed on Drumlin Farm would come in handy. How nice to have sheep in the neighborhood. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roof deck - that sounds like a nice thing to have handy. Some day I want to learn how to pronounce Totonicapan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.J. try this: Toto(like the dog)-knee-cah-paaahn(Spanish word/pronunciation for bread)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting us all know how to say it properly and for the insights into your new normal!! Wonderful living this through your eyes.

      Delete
  4. Got it! Toto knee-cah-paahn. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you can just say Toto! Haha I forgot to mention that earlier

      Delete