Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Best Last Night

 Last night was my most memorable and favorite night so far in Guatemala. When I got home (see I am already calling it home) from my long day at the Peace Corps office I shared an important part of American culture with my host family: 'smores. I couldn't find Graham Crackers here, but I found cookies that were close. This was primarily an activity for the kids, but everyone participated. They said that they had heard of 'smores or seen them in movies but had never gotten to make / eat them. It was a big hit. One unusual thing is that marshmallows are called angelitos here which makes roasting angelitos (little angles) seem downright sacrilegious.

 


After this was my birthday / going away party. My birthday isn't for another week, but they wanted to celebrate with me before I left the next day. The whole family ate together at one long table and they prepared a special meal: chillies rellenos (stuffed peppers) with rice. It was delicious. And of course birthday cake. After we finished eating they put on music and we all danced. It was so much fun. We danced to marimba music and then to Gangum style (if you don't know this song please YouTube it - these pictures will make more sense). Then each member of the family one by one took turns saying their goodbyes and wishing me well. It was when Luzmaria the shy 13 year old began to cry that I too lost it. I am going to miss them all so much and I can only hope that my next host family is at all like them.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful birthday celebration! I expect you have made friends/family for life and that you will find another special host family in Pologua. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you're getting the IMPORTANT stuff out there - 'Smores!!! The pictures of the whole crew dancing are wonderful. Best of luck in the move to Pologua - your loyal KC fans want to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to be so late on this, but remember that step teacher who made that whole step routine for gangnam style? This looks like more fun! Gracie

    ReplyDelete