Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, May 26, 2014

An Extra Long Memorial Day Weekend in Guatemala

So I felt like last week I was really on a role, work-wise. Monday-Thursday I gave presentations to both parents' groups and teachers. All of which I think went well if I do say so myself :). Now I don't think that I have blogged much about the level of productivity here in Guatemalan schools. It can be low. The school day is only from 8-12:30 and there is about an hour taken out for snack and recess. It also seems to me that there are an endless number of days where the kids are not in classes for activities such as: sporting events for the kids, sporting events for the teachers, cultural days (I really am glad that they proudly celebrate their Mayan heritage), holidays (Mother's Day, teacher's day, etc.), and time off when there are all-teacher meetings (because with school as only a half-day teachers couldn't possibly meet in their afternoons off). So as I was chugging along with my week I began to hear from the directors (principals) of the schools that there is no school Friday, May 23, or Monday, May 26 (Memorial Day in the U.S.A.), because teachers from each school are competing against each other in soccer and basketball. Sounds like a worthwhile event to cancel two days of classes. Not to me. So, although I am definitely not in the U.S., I am getting a nice long Memorial Day weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Hurray for long weekends - but too bad it's at the expense of school time. You almost had enough time to spend Memorial Day in the US of A. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should volunteer to join one of the teachers' teams at one of the schools. :-)

    ReplyDelete