Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day from Guatemala

I am dedicating this post to my Mom who I love so much and miss every day.


It's amazing - I am just starting to repeat holidays in my site in Toto. I arrived April 23, 2013. Last year I went to the Mother's Day celebration at a school. This year I decided that once was enough and celebrated with my new host family instead. Mother's Day in Guatemala is always celebrated on May 10th which means that this year it fell on a Saturday (one day before the U.S.). So Saturday morning I lead arts and crafts with my host siblings and Minako, the Japanese volunteer that also lives in the house. We made lots of cards in four different languages and even a couple of paper roses. It was a lot of fun.

After the activity I was invited to their Mother's Day lunch in which both my host parent's mothers were in attendence. They only speak K'iche' so we didn't talk much, but it was a really good lunch of spicy chicken, a cole slaw-like salad, and a cake.

Most of us with our cards
Princess and I. She is so adorable. She used so much glue attaching
hearts to the inside of her cards that she glued all of them shut.
Like most things in my life right now my Mother's day was very multi-lingual. 
Minako showed us how to write Happy Mother's Day in Japanese
I love you Mom in K'iche' on the left, Spanish on the right, and English on the bottom

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for my first ever tri-lingual Mother's Day card and for the wonderful blog post dedication - also a first for me. I can tell from the pictures that making the Mother's Day cards was very fun. How nice to be able celebrate Guatemalan Mother's Day with three generations of mothers. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Multi cultural way to celebrate. Thanks for sharing your unique experiences! Happy Mother's Day to Martha!

    ReplyDelete