Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Chipilin: Deadly or Delicious?


Well neither really although when it is uncooked it is apparently poisonous. It is considered a weed in the United States but it is popular here in Guatemala and in the surrounding countries. I have eaten it in tamalitos (like a tortilla in the form of a tamale) before but this was the first time that I had cooked it. The leaves are high in iron, calcium, and beta carotene and it is super cheap. I payed 1 Quetzal for this whole bunch. It was slightly a pain to cook because I first washed and bleached it (even though you don't have to do it if you cook the fruits/veggies really well), then I had to individually take off every leaf, and finally I cooked it for WAY longer than I thought that I needed to just to make sure it was safe to eat. I combined it with brown rice, tomatoes, and onions and it was actually really tasty and gave me a couple of good meals.

My dinner on my double burner electric stove-top

5 comments:

  1. Does the chipilin have its own taste after it's cooked? That is, was it the chipilin that was so tasty or the combination of ingredients in your dish? My experience is that anything that is so healthy then does not have an appealing flavor. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just kind of tastes like any cooked leafy green. I wouldn't eat it plain (cooked) only to add some vitamins to what I am cooking. I just bought a bagel that was Chipilin and paremsan.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this leafy vegetable before. Yea for greens! Sounds fabulous. Hey, btw, do you have pumpkins in Guatemala? I bought a small pumpkin today, but not for cooking. Also some gourds - all finished with fall decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have some pumpkins in Xela in Walmart and the other supermarket, but I just can't get myself to bring one of those on the camionetta back to my site. Walmart has just also put up all of their Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations.

      Delete
  3. I loved the picture of the greens on the blue chair. Wow, the chipilin is really packed with nutrients. Worth the work I'd say. Mom

    ReplyDelete