Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Paches


Paches are like Tamales but made out of potato or rice. The potatoes/rice are creamed and soft. Along with the starch is a sauce and a small piece of meat (usually chicken or pork) in the center. They are wrapped, cooked, and served in leaves (I think usually banana leaves). They are always served steaming hot and I think that it makes a great mushy (in the best way) comfort food. In true Guatemalan fashion, this carbohydrate-based meal almost always comes with bread (white bread). I ate all of it. Unlike my Guatemalan host family members, I usually have one or two pieces of white bread with my Pache. They usually have about four pieces. 

Paches are the typical Christmas food here. Whenever the topic of Christmas comes up, Guatemalans always asks me if Americans eat Paches for Christmas. When I tell them no they seem surprised and then ask me what do we eat at Christmas. 

Usually they are whiter in color,
but this one had the sauce thoroughly mixed in.

4 comments:

  1. Can you send us the recipe for paches? Perhaps it could become a new Christmas tradition in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. White bread? Not tortillas? I 'm surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing you don't eat the leaves - am I right? I would second the motion to start a paches Christmas tradition in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - you don't eat the leaves. I will work on learning how to make them for Christmas 2015

      Delete