Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Accidental Bidet…Yes it was as Unpleasant as it Sounds

This was maybe one of the grossest (if not THE grossest) experiences in my life. On the way back from Rio Dulce we took a boat to Puerto Barrios where the tour bus was meeting us. The water was really choppy and it made the boat ride a lot more interesting, fun in my opinion, and not for the weak of heart or stomach. Anyway, we made it safely to the dock and while we were waiting for our bus to pick us up I decided to go to the bathroom. This is where the accidental bidet comes in. You know the French appliances found in the bathroom next to the toilet for additional…cleaning purposes. First of all I had to pay 3 Quetzales to use the bathroom which just added insult to injury, but at least they gave me toilet paper with that. First of all I had to walk over milk crates to get into the stall because the floor was flooded. So as I was going to the bathroom I felt liquid splashing back up at me. Needless to say I was confused. It turns out that the toilet was connected by a very short pipe directly into the choppy water. So as I was using the bathroom all of that plus sea water was splashing back on me. I had no choice but to pee as fast as I could. It was terrible and needless to say I left there feeling dirty. (Other people used this bathroom too so it wasn't just me being gross). Oh well it makes for a good story.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A story that you can retell for many years.

    On the other hand--perhaps this was still better than the bathroom stalls at King Open?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What in the world did your Dad say that you had to remove his comment? Oh well, let's not think about unsanitary bathrooms any more and I hope you don't have to use many more. KMP.

    ReplyDelete