Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Buying Eggs at the Market and the Father of the Bride Supermarket Hotdog Bun Scene

Father of the Bride (I and II) are two of my favorite movies of all time. I could watch them over and over again. One of the most memorable scenes is where George Banks (Steve Martin) is freaking out about the cost of the wedding and goes to the supermarket to buy hot dogs and hot dog buns for dinner. However, they sell hot dogs in packages of 8 and hot dog buns in packages of 12. Short story shorter, outraged he tries to remove the extra buns and only pay for the 8 he wants, landing him in jail.  

I highly recommend watching the scene here: 

So what on Earth does this have to do with me? Well on Monday market days when I buy all of my food I buy my eggs (since I don't have a fridge they are one of my main sources of protein). At 1 Quetzal a piece they are super affordable (about 8 eggs = $1). In the U.S. they come in I think two size cartons, but here I can buy however many I want. Sometimes the vendors look at me strangely, but they will sell me any number. They normally come in a pack of 30, but usually I get 15 (see below). And if I want any fewer than that (for a while I was getting only 6 a week) they would put that number IN A LITTLE PLASTIC BAG. Anyway, I think that George Banks would appreciate this option. 


When I ask for 15 eggs they fold the big sheet in half, put the eggs in, then tie string around it to hold it together and make a convenient handle for carrying.

3 comments:

  1. HaHa. I forgot that scene, but I do remember writing a paper in college about the inequity of buns vs. dogs..... some things never change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one of many things to love about Guatemala - you can buy how ever many eggs you want and they package them so nicely. Fun post and great photo of the eggs. Mom

    ReplyDelete