Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, January 27, 2014

My Town

So I know at least my parents have been waiting for this blog post. Here is a little more about my town. The Peace Corps tells me I can't say exactly where I live, but it rhymes with....just kidding it doesn't rhyme with anything. I live in the Department (like a state) of Totonicapan in an aldea (village) of the municipality of Momostenango. Because Guatemalans love to shorten words I live in Toto and Momos.

Both the beige-ish house and yellow belong to my host family (see picture below). It is definitely one of the biggest houses in my town. The two windows on the second floor on the lefthand side of the yellow house are to my room. The brown stalks in front of the house are corn that they cut down after harvest. Also between the corn field and my house is a little river.

What I see from my window (but taken from ground level)
View from my window of the river (the glass is tinted)
Even the kids carry heavy loads

Every once and a while they hold some kind of church service on the bank of the river


 And people walk their sheep through my town and along the pan-American highway that runs right through it

In the middle are 3 trees - my house is to the left of the middle one
A pig tied to a tree near my house
Corn drying on a roof in front of the school

So I don't really know what to make of my town. It is definitely rural as I routinely walk past livestock going to and from my house, but we are right on the Pan-American highway (which is two lanes - see below) and we have buildings with multiple (up to 4) stories right in the "center of town," which is only a couple of blocks. After that there are lots of corn fields and sparse houses.

4 comments:

  1. what happened to your insta?? prime material

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house is much grander than I had imagined. And there is more to the town than there seemed to be from the Google Earth view, like a real "Main Street." It certainly has some very idyllic-looking views. Thanks, Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was worth the wait for this post. I think your house is almost as big as Ellery Square - like all of Ellery Square. And wow, the windows in your room are big. Thanks for introducing us to your village. My favorite photo is the man walking his sheep. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful post. I love seeing all of these photos. I can understand why Guatemalans take short cuts with place-names. I've never heard of so many syllables in one country. Love that you have nice big windows in your room. Your Main Street is more developed than I had imagined. Keep the blog posts coming.

    ReplyDelete