Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Thursday, July 30, 2015

OneWorld Classroom Art Exchange

One cool activity that I did with my favorite little school was the OneWorld Classroom art exchange. It's a pretty neat program where you register a classroom, have the kids draw scenes from their lives / culture / family, send the artwork to the U.S., then in a couple months (it takes a month for anything to get to/from Guatemala) you get a new packet with artwork from all over the world. So once I received all of the artwork I took it into the school and used it to jumpstart a little geography/cultural awareness lesson. One thing that I found in this school was a real lack of both geographical knowledge and knowledge of other cultures. I discovered this when I asked the kids (of grades 1-6) to draw their culture or what was special about Guatemala I got blank stares (and it wasn't because of my Spanish). This is when I realized that it is impossible to know what is so special about your own culture until you know about other cultures.  

Looking at some of the new artwork
Showing where the different pieces of artwork came from


Here is a list of some of the things that I find to be special about the Guatemalan culture:
- Over 90% of people in my village are Mayan and speak the language K'iche'
- The majority of women in this area wear the traditional embroidered traje
- Tortillas and tamalitos are staples of any meal and often they are made by hand and cooked over an open stove 
- Large multigenerational families live together
- Much much more this is just the tip of the iceberg!!

No comments:

Post a Comment