Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Learning How to Assemble Toilets...Something I Wasn't Expecting to Learn

I never could have imagined all of the things that I would do or learn while a Peace Corps Volunteer. I am constantly surprised. I am lucky enough to have gone to a number of trainings put on by both the Peace Corps and local NGOs. One such training was put on by Agua Para La Salud (Water for Health) in conjunction with the Peace Corps. In this training we brought counterparts and learned to assemble, disassemble, and unclog toilets.

I'm glad that I learned how to do it.... but don't call me if you need a plumber.

Screwing the tank in. (p.s. family and friends I do not want
to see this picture everywhere, thank you very much!)

Here is the list of trainings I have received to date: intensive Spanish language instruction, Mayan language instruction, cross-cultural training in non-formal education, project design and management, situation management, community analysis, personal safely, preventative health, HIV/Advanced HIV, Gender and Development, improved practices for school gardens, leadership, monitoring, reporting, and evaluation, tools for improving water, improved wood-burning stoves, sanitation and hygiene at schools, education theory, improvement of school gardens and methodologies to improve work with very young adolescents, water sanitation and hygiene, nutrition, food security, and project design and management. The Peace Corps has given me the opportunity to learn a great deal about topics that I never though that I would study and I really appreciate it!

2 comments:

  1. You now have a very impressive resume and great pictures to back it up. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This should qualify you for a Masters degree (at least) in personal sustainability and sufficiency. While we might refrain from widespread circulation of the photo (no Tweeting). we do expect you will be called on to apply any number of these new skills upon your return to the developed world.

    ReplyDelete