Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Living that Rural Farm Life

The other day when I was walking back from visiting a school I saw that there were a bunch of people gathered around the space adjacent to my house where members of my host family keep a couple cows and pigs. I asked them what was going on and they said a calf was born a few hours earlier. Luckily I got to see this little guy after he was all cleaned up.


All of the kids and adults were petting the newborn calf. I enjoyed this because he was oh so soft and because here in Guatemala I don't often see people petting or otherwise being nice to Animals. Here in the campo and even where I lived outside of Antigua, animals are used to serve a purpose. This purpose is usually to protect the house. This calf will serve its purpose too, in time, but for now it was nice to see everyone treating it nicely.

1 comment:

  1. The photo of the little girl so gently petting the calf is beautiful - priceless. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete