Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Crazy Camionetas

Public transportation buses here are called "chicken buses" or "camionetas" in Spanish. Everything about them is crazy. First of all they are all old american school buses and most of them are all pimped out, some with lights and almost all of them painted with designs and colors. I don't know how they all get down here. I wonder if they all get driven down here through Mexico when we are done with them in the states. The drivers of these buses also practically drag race them down the street. They go so fast! It is common for buses to try and pass each other on the road. I also like to to describe them as "club camioneta" because many of them have TVs in the front and all of them blast loud party music in both English and Spanish.
Guatemalans are speed bump happy. There are SO many speed bumps on every street! It takes about 20-25 minutes on the camioneta to get from Antigua to my old house and there are 26 speed bumps along the way (yes I did count them). I am trying to start a photo series of camionetas, but here are a couple pictures to help you get an idea about what they look like.

9 comments:

  1. I once bought a small clay "camionetta" when on a trip to central america and then I was told it was a chicken bus. It has people on the roof and sticking out of the windows. Obviously made for the touritst trade but has the feeling of recklessness about it! Do the speed bumps have a name? I once saw some on an island and the sign by the speed bump said "sleeping policeman" and showed a big bellied man laying on the ground with his belly up in the air. I am curous about the local name for the speed bumps there in Guatamala. Can't wait to see more of your photo blog of these buses!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of calling them "sleeping policemen." They are definitely there because the cops don't enforce the speed limit. I have been on busses that pass a police car on a two-lane road. I don't think they have any funny names for them here - just túmulos (which means speed bump).

      Delete
  2. The rides sound hair raising. (Maybe I should try it). But I feel a bit reassured that I suspect you neglected to mention that they have seat belts for all riders-- and air bags in front of every seat. You did say that, didn't you? Have you seen or heard about any accidents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah there are definitely seat belts and air bags. Not. But there aren't in public busses in the States either. I have heard about some bad accidents here, but not as many as I had thought would happen when you see how they drive.

      Delete
  3. Wow - I think you should do a documentary on the chicken buses. You could follow one from the US to Guatelmala and document the transformation. Where do the buses get painted - they do a very nice job. I look forward to more chicken bus photos! Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, someone did do a documentary from American school bus to camioneta,funded by money raised through Kickstarter The teaser is at http://kck.st/gWl3VQ . The film itself is opening in New York this week.

      By the way, "camioneta" is the Spanish term for a pick-up truck. How that got to be applied to the school buses in Guatemala could be a fun etymology project. Anyone?

      Delete
  4. 26 speed bumps in a 25 minute ride is a lot of speed bumps. In addition to the seat belts and air bags for everyone, I'm sure the camionetas have excellent shock absorbers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha and I just had a nice telephone visit and she walked me through how to comment. I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. You have a real talent for writing. These are great notes for the book you should write. I am certainly enjoying them. Love, Pank

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Megan!
    Nice to follow you around.... I love the pictures of the trucks. they are beautiful. I can only imagine the races you are describing: it seems like the matatus in Kenya!
    I send you a big hug,
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete