Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Second Guatemalan Wedding

This past weekend I went to my second wedding here in my site. This time there was no bachelorette party where I got called out for being "the girl in the room who we haven't seen before," but I did get introduced to everyone over the microphone at this wedding (I take it a new Peace Corps volunteer every two years is about the extent to which this town gets new people - gringos especially). This wedding was very similar in terms of general events, but also very different in a lot of ways (there was sadly no furniture carrying this time). There was also no breakfast, but we arrived at 9:30am and when the civil ceremony ended (they were also married by a lawyer) we were served lunch. This wedding was in a special events hall and the bride wore a long white dress. In fact there were a bunch of girls in the wedding party (family) who were wearing white dresses. This couple are jovenes (young)! The bride was 16 and the groom was 19. I have a feeling this is a pretty normal age to get married here in Guatemala.

The venue 
They looked happy 
Lunch
I'm not sure what this was about, but it was adorable!

4 comments:

  1. Los mas jovenes in the last photo.

    If you keep this up, you'll be able to have a secondary project as a wedding planner there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg: I think you might have a future as a wedding photographer. While different, this wedding was also simple in its own way and very beautiful. I thought it interesting that there was a desk separating the lawyer and the bride and groom. Who pays for weddings in Guatemala - the bride's family? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. The balloons make it look like a very modern ceremony.. the arch made by the balloons could be a chuppah! The dresses all look like they came from a very nice store!!What a good looking couple.. but so young! You are helping us all feel so connected to your experience there. I just learned that my friends daughter was a Peace Corps volunteer in Guatemala 15 years ago. No technology then to stay in touch with family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful couple. Love the white balloons. And how nice of the emcee to introduce the lovely new gringo in town.

    ReplyDelete