Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Puesto De Salud (Health Center)

This past Sunday I spent the morning (8-1) working at the Puesto de Salud (health center) in my town. There is a woman (probably around my age) who also rents a room in the house that I am living in. She is here Thursday-Sunday working in the health center. She says the health center is pretty well staffed during the week with 9 people working there, but on the weekends she is the only one so last Sunday I went and helped her out. I think this was probably my most productive I have felt since becoming a PCV. The pace of work is just slower here and I am having a hard time adjusting. For example in our first three months in site our main goal is community integration oh and we are supposed to visit our ten schools. But back to the health center. I spent the morning weighing children and babies, passing out vitamins, and recording all of this information. I'm not sure if I am going to help her out every weekend, but maybe I will if it gives me an excuse not to go to an Evangelical service for three hours. My host family is Evangelical and they do this twice a week.

3 comments:

  1. 6 hours of evangelicalism/week? I'm thinking that Health Center productivity is going to pick up big time! Stuart and I had tortilla's at Maria's tonight and thought of you. I'll be walking it off with you in spirit (not around a cow though). Hope THIS post makes it to you. KMP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo for volunteering at the health center! It sounds interesting and even fun. Seems like a good way to get to know the community. I volunteer at the free health clinic in KC about twice a month - but it's adults only; I don't get to weigh any babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely more productive !!

    ReplyDelete