Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Danza Folklorica (Traditional Mayan Folk Dancing)

I was planning on doing another ordinary school visit when I was told that one of my ten schools was hosting a cultural performance day so to speak where students from different schools would recite poems, sing songs, and do traditional dances. This turned out to be amazing. My "workday" consisted of walking 20 minutes to my closest school and from 8-12:30 watching children artistically showcase their Guatemalan and Mayan heritage. In my area almost everyone can speak at least a little K'iche' and for a lot of people it is their first language. I don't think that this event fell on a special day (Guatemalan independence day is September 15), but clearly SO MUCH time and effort was put into this event. One of the more unusual performances was the dance of the monkeys (pictures 5 and 6). The kids who performed wore the most beautiful traditional clothing and the outfits were so ornate. The more I know of it the more I am in awe of the beautiful Mayan culture and I feel so lucky to be living here among it. I am also very grateful that almost everyone in my town and in the schools I work in speaks Spanish!

A mix of traditional and modern clothing 
Traditional huipil (top) and corte (skirt)

7 comments:

  1. WOW! WOW!

    Who made those costumes in the top photos? Parents? Teachers? The students? All the above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that all of the above were involved in the costume making. Although maybe some of the more intricate outfits were rented. The others were definitely at least partially made by the childrens' mothers.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful - thanks for posting these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are fabulous Meg. I can only imagine that the actual performances were pretty cool as well (especially the devil). What a workday! Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what beautiful costumes and children. And yes, it is a wonderful opportunity you have to experience the beauty of the Guatemalan culture. And we so appreciate your sharing it with us. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are far from the KO 3/4 grade Maya Museum! beautiful colors....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This reminds me of when Mom and Glo had to make costumes for Jenny's and my dance recital. We were dancing to Glow Litle Glow Worm. I won't describe the outfits, fortunately those pictures were on one of the many rolls of film that never got developed, but they were bright.

    ap

    ReplyDelete