Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday Market Day

In my town Mondays are market days. The three main (and basically only) streets in town get blocked off and filled with vendors. They sell all kinds of things including: fruit, vegetables, cloth, clothing, dishes / household items, some meat / fish and shrimp, packages of pasta, hot sauce -- Picamas - there is no Frank's here :( --, oil, grains, etc. I have a feeling that most people in my town do most of their shopping for the week there, because there is no grocery store. It turns my quiet town into a busy and bustling place from early in the morning until 1pm when most vendors pack up and leave. Shopping in these markets is definitely the most economical way to shop (and yes bargaining is a MUST). I work in the schools I follow their schedule which is 8am-12:30-1pm at the latest. This is a chill schedule and I am in no way complaining, but it makes it hard to shop at the market. It is hard to describe so see for yourself!!

Tons of typical fabric
Yummilish. Everything is so cheap here! I got a pound of strawberries for 6Q
(less than $1)! I then bleached them (we are supposed to do this to anything
we don't boil or thoroughly cook) to get rid of all of the germs etc. 
Weighing potatoes (all vendors use this system)

4 comments:

  1. Great photos of the market, Meg. Especially the fabric stall. I sympathize with your schedule conflict keeping you from leisurely marketing. Were the strawberries pretty tasty? Hope you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a talented photographer! Beautiful work, Megan
    Janann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect case where a picture is more efficient than a narrative. We really get a feel for the bustle and breadth of the market.

    How early does the market get started? I wonder if some families can get their shopping done before they head to work. Or does that matter less if most families have stay at home Moms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the market pictures Meg. Could you get up really early next Monday and take a picture of the woman setting up her fabric stall? I'm curious about how she does it and how long it takes. Mom

    ReplyDelete