Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Thursday, August 28, 2014

The 24 Hour Pharmacy in my House

Medicinas Israel: My host Dad's pharmacy


Not to brag or anything, but I'm pretty sure that my host Dad is among the more well-to-do and most influential men in my town. He owns the biggest pharmacy which is right in the center of town and is one of the pastors at the huge Evangelical church. I'm pretty sure he would be considered middle class in America, but not in this tiny town. Anyway, he also has a small pharmacy in the house for after-hours needs. Sometimes after everyone else has gone to bed (around 10pm) there is knocking on our front gate until someone in my host family goes to see what they need and gets the medicine.

Fun fact: In Guatemala you don't really need to know any medicine or have any kind of degree to own a pharmacy. I'm pretty sure my host Dad only graduated from the sixth grade. As my family and friends will tell you, this is handy if you are traveling to Guatemala and have forgotten some medicine and/or your prescription. Just ask one of the many pharmacies and more likely then not they will have it. Just give them the cash and you are all set.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, from personal experience we know that one can get some non-abused medicines over the counter that in the US require a prescription. I'm guessing that narcotics may be a bit more difficult. Maybe you can ask Israel about regulations on those.

    Hmmm, I hadn't noticed when we were there that the shop had his name on it, Have you run across anyone else in Guatemala with the name Israel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have met a couple other Israels. There are also a bunch of tiendas (little stores) called Shalom and Ebenezer.

      Delete
  2. Colorful buildings and lots of overhead wires, I see.
    Re: pharmacy operations - As noted in your glass factory post, the GNG is amazingly (alarmingly? or refreshingly?) unregulated. Go GNG!

    ReplyDelete