Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, August 11, 2014

Zaculeu: The Mayan Ruins in Huehuetenango

I went with my host family to Huehuetenango one Sunday for an Evangelical baptism that my host Dad was (officiating?) the pastor at. After the baptism we went to Zaculeu the Mayan ruins. They were much smaller than the more famous ruins in Tikal, but I still thought they were awesome. Also, I guess because they aren't as well known the security was much more relaxed and you could climb all over the ruins which I enjoyed (although I'm sure it's terrible for conservation).

Side note: I bet you can't guess how to pronounce Huehuetenango. I'll spell it out for you (Way-way-ten-ango). I have no idea why, that's just how it is.

Here is a video I took standing on top of the largest structure. It's a small area but nice and with a beautiful mountainous backdrop.

Such a beautiful backdrop too!
My host sister Sharon showing off what you can do in traje tipico
My host family in the back of a pick-up truck
It was mostly the kids back there and they rode like that for 1.5 hours
My host Mom and Dad (Juana and Israel)

4 comments:

  1. You're right-- it is beautiful and, from afar at least, looks well maintained. But your concern about the long term consequences of allowing unfettered access I think is well placed. I don't recall that there was much in Tekal that was off limits either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree about Tikal. In Tikal we weren't allowed to climb up any of the main stair cases. I would say the vast majority were off limits. The ones that we could climb had a separate staircase around the back and small walkway so we weren't climbing on the actual ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing pictures. I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit Way Way. The traje handstand picture makes me think you really should get a traje. Traje are really beautiful, functional, and I have yet to see a woman who doesn't look good in a traje.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful ruins. How remarkable. I enjoyed the video - it gives a sense that the ruins cover a large area.

    ReplyDelete