Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Glass Factory in Cantel, Quetzaltenango

I (only) have seven months left in my Peace Corps service so I am starting to feel the pressure to cross things off of my Guatemala bucket list. I think I've been good at this, but I really want to get out and see things. So my newest "check" on the list is the glass factory that is just a short 20 minute camioneta ride outside of the center of Xela. I'm really glad that I went! It's just a small store with glass cups, wine glasses, vases, etc. and if you are lucky you are there while the men are working in the back. My video (below) will give you a good ideas of this small no-frills workshop. 


One thing that I enjoyed was the fact that the men working were so casual about their work. They were wearing t-shirts or long-sleeve shirts and no eye protection or gloves. We just wandered back there, walked right up to one of the workstations (huge barrel of water) and started talking to one of the men and watching him work. We didn't have to wear a protective suit, sign a waiver, wear protection, nothing. I agree that some safety rules and regulations can be a good thing, but I feel like in the states this is often taken to the extreme (I.e. caution: this beverage that you are about to enjoy is extremely hot. Duh I ordered a hot beverage.) 

Recycled glass

I got to try glass blowing! It wasn't something they advertised, we just asked the guy if we could try it. It was awesome. I believe I only got a couple words of instruction: blow slowly and rotate the metal rod. I watched 0 safety videos. Used 0 protection. And guess what - I was completely fine and I made a perfect little glass ball!


Cooperativa Integral de Producción Artesanal de Vidrio Cantel, R. L.
Km. 217.5 Carretera al Pacifico
Pasac II, Cantel, Quetzalenango
Guatemala, C.A.

3 comments:

  1. What Guatemala needs is a few thousand more lawyers. Then the over zealous rules will be needed to have a defense from law suits. In the meantime, enjoy the freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me like you're a natural at the glass blowing. Did you mention to the glassblowers that you were a welder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the phootage and fotos of this small operation. Love seeing stuff like this. So glad you are making the most of your time in the GNG (Great Nation of Guatemala).

    ReplyDelete