Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, March 16, 2015

Salcajá: A Cute Little Town Outside of Xela

About 15 minutes outside of Xela is the town of Salcajá (pronounced sal-ka-ha). It is a nice little town with huge market days that fill the narrow streets. As I was looking through my Lonely Planet guidebook one last time to see if there were many important sights that I missed I came across the Church of Saint Jacinto in Salcajá. One of my friends from my training group lives and works in Salcajá so I am familiar with the town, but I have never been to this church which is the first Christian Church in Central America and is still used for services to this day.

First Christian Church in Central America
I have always liked this flag pole
Center of town

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful church and I too love the flagpole.

    ReplyDelete