Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Traditional Blankets and Rugs from Momostenango, Totonicapán


The town of Momostenango (Momos for short) is in the department of Totonicapán in the Western Highlands of Guatemala and is known for their wool blankets and rugs. This is a cold area of the country and the blankets are very warm. I often mention how cold I am in my site to my family and friends in the Boston-area. If you have ever spent a winter in New England or have been following the news about the near record-breaking snowfall in Massachusetts this winter you can imagine that they have very little patience for me in this weather that never goes below freezing. In my defense there are a lot of things that help deal with with cold: indoor heating, non-concrete houses that don't hold in the cold, and running hot water. Sadly, indoor heating has not made it to rural Guatemala. I don't know of a single house in my town with heating. The same goes for hot water coming out of the sinks: unheard of outside of fancy hotels in touristy areas. This is fine but just means that I NEVER wash my dishes after dark because the pila (like a sink) is covered, but outside and it gets chilly with the cold water.

I don't currently own a Momos blanket, but I do have four thick blankets on my bed. Every singe one of them is necessary. I have also taken to covering my head (down to my nose) at night with a fleece blanket so that only my nose is exposed.

Mid-day nap

1 comment:

  1. Is there a Momos blanket in your future?

    You're right-- better to be warm inside even if 20 degrees outside than to be 50 in your room when you need to get out of bed in the morning-- and have to go outside to get to the bathroom. I'm not complaining.

    ReplyDelete