Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Friday, June 13, 2014

Derrumbes (Landslides)

This word wasn't a part of my Spanish vocabulary before I came to Guatemala or even before I experienced a rainy season in Guatemala. It certainly is now. During the rainy season it rains almost every single day in the afternoon from May-December. It's not my favorite, although it is an excuse not to leave the house in the afternoon because Guatemalans don't like to go out in the rain either.

I have to pass by this to get from my town to Xela. Luckily they opened up a side path for cars so that traffic can pass by one way at a time. This probably adds about half an hour to my trip each way.

I wasn't able to snap a picture myself so I downloaded this one off the internet

I feel like if one were to pass by this in the U.S. one would think that a mini disaster had happened. Not here. Landslides are very common during the rainy season due to the poor infrastructure, overly saturated ground, and location of the roads. A lot of the roads are built right into the sides of mountains. I highly doubt this this will be the last time that my travel will be delayed due to landslides. That's just how it is here.  

1 comment:

  1. Is this on the way to Quatro Caminos? You're right, though. If this was a road in the US it would be blocked off and a detour set up. Let us know how long it take them to make a repair-- if ever.

    ReplyDelete