Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Trash Management (or Lack Thereof)

There is no trash pick-up in my town so most families and schools burn their trash. All of their trash: paper, plastic, and organic. I personally separate my trash. I take my plastic trash into Xela when I go to do work or meet up with friends, I burn my paper trash in the plancha in my kitchen, and about once a week I feed my organic trash (aka food scraps) to the pigs. My host family has a lot of them and often times they can be found walking around the backyard and throughout the house. I don't have a sink and I have yet to see anything that looks like a garbage disposal anywhere in Guatemala so I store all of the scraps in a bucket and then whenever it gets full I take a little walk out back and give it all to the pigs. 

This is my kitchen when I am burning my paper trash. There is a chimney, but a lot of smoke escapes from the top nonetheless.


The to-be happy recipient of my organic trash

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pig does not look like it will produce much bacon. Why doesn't the family feed their organic garbage to the pigs? What do they feed them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you get that pig to pose for the picture? Was it the promise of more garbage?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the pig have a name? If not, I suggest Wilbur. I started re-reading Charlotte's Web last weekend when Scott and I were at the Randolph family reunion, and I found it on a bookshelf. Didn't get to finish it!
    Good for you for excellent trash management.

    ReplyDelete