Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Second Market Day in my Town

For the longest time we just had one big market day on Monday. This means that if I wanted to buy fruit or vegetables Monday was pretty much my only option. This worked out pretty well except that the market is basically only open during school hours (well it starts early in the morning but I don't like to madrugar (rise early)). Luckily for me we now have a second, albeit smaller, market day on Thursday mornings. Living without a refrigerator it is much better if I don't have to rely on my fruits and vegetables lasting a full week.  

Naturally in true Guatemalan style my town had a big celebration for the first day of this second market. They set up a big stage in the main square where all morning they had loud live music playing and dance performances. 

Public restrooms - you pay this man a couple of quetzales and get a little bit
of toilet paper
Two women praying at a Mayan altar
Woman selling sugar cane on the street
Live Marimba and brass band

Then there were the dances. All of the performers were men dressed up in these elaborate costumes and women's masks. They didn't so much dance as sway from side to side as the dance/marched around in different formations. You really have to see it to understand it.


Shopping here takes longer than usual. The market in my town is open air and takes up the whole "downtown" area which is the equivalent of a very small U.S. block. None the less walking up and down the streets, stopping to ask prices, and bargaining takes time (although I would say that it is worth it). 

4 comments:

  1. Curious: the masks have gringa features. Could you tell if there is any significance to that? Or perhaps it's simply because those were the masks that happened to be on sale at Walmart in Xela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if there is a significance to that. I'm pretty sure that it isn't just what was on sale in Walmart because all of the dances and parades that I have seen in different parts of the country use the same costumes and masks.

      Delete
  2. My goodness. Quite the celebration! The dance costumes are a trip. I'm happy that you now have a Thursday morning option for fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of being able to buy food anytime we want is so ingrained in our way of life that I cannot imagine how you have adapted, but adding a second market day sounds like a step into the future for your town.

    ReplyDelete