Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Monday, June 9, 2014

I Think That I was Extra Hungry When I Went to the Market Today...

Total cost: $9.75 or 75.5 Quetzales

On the bright side, for less than $10 I bought: 30 eggs, cilantro, 1lb potatoes, cauliflour, 6 avocadoes, 6 red peppers, 3 cucumbers, 2 lbs tomatoes, a bag of carrots, a larger version of a zucchini, 2 heads of broccoli, a bunch of swiss chard, and 3 pineapples. A vegetarian's delight. I am not a vegetarian for the record. The only downside is that I then spent almost the entire afternoon disinfecting all of this in water and bleach. 

Also this happened:
$0.39 or 3 Quetzales worth of beet leaves

I saw that one of the venders had a lot of extra beet leaves laying around so I asked her if I could have them. Usually they just throw them away or leave them on the ground when they go home for the day. She said that she would sell me a bag for 3Q. Trying not to be stingy I agreed. Little did I know what size bag she was referring to. I'm not sure if you can tell exactly how big this bag is from the picture. It is about the same size as my entire torso. When she handed the bag I must have looked surprised because she offered to put more in the bag. I said thank you, but that wouldn't be necessary. I have NO idea how I am going to use all of these leaves in addition to the other vegetables that I bought before they go bad... My creativity and my stomach have its work cut out for it.

4 comments:

  1. Phoebe would have been a very happy gp if you had brought this for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as a bonus, your fruits and vegies made a beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a blender? How about a beet leaves smoothie? Wow, those vegetables are beautiful! Vegies for breakfast, vegies for lunch, vegies for dinner. You'll be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Might have to go to the big city to find a tall building?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a blender. I have been blending the leaves with my eggs every morning, but I will have to add a smoothie to the list too! As for the tall buildings…there is one 6 story building in Xela which is an hour away from me and I think that is pretty much it. I guess I will have to stick to leaping one or two story buildings.

      Delete