Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Día Pascua: Decorating Easter Eggs With My Host Family

Guatemalans do no do Easter eggs, Easter baskets, excessive candy eating, egg dying, or anything of the sort. It is all about the alfombras , processions, and church. So Kelley and I decided that since we have been learning so much about Guatemalan celebrations for Easter that it would be nice to show our families a little bit of our Easter customs. Originally we were going to do an Easter egg hunt for the kids, but there were no plastic eggs to be found anywhere. So we decided to dye eggs. It actually turned out really well and I think our families enjoyed it! All 6 kids in my family participated (as well as some parents), Kelley and her host brother, and Jimmy. I did one as a demonstration. First we hardboiled the eggs then we had them draw on the eggs with crayons and then dunk them in different color dyes. I think this was the first time that anyone had done anything like this and a fun time was had by all.
The whole family with our eggs!!
Work in progress
Adorable

1 comment:

  1. The kids are so, so cute! What a fun project. I love seeing all the colorful eggs together. Great pics.

    ReplyDelete