Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hike

If I haven't explained this already we are all split up into different groups based on language level. I am with Kelley (who took the picture of the group below) and Jimmy (far right). Our group along with some people from the next closest town (~30 minute walk) decided to get some exercise and hike up the hill behind the church in our town. It took us about an hour to climb to the top and only about 20 minutes to "climb" down. I say "climb" because we probably slid most of the way down. There were such great views of our town from the top!

Carrying his machete and wood
Scenic view 
Nicole kept trying to taste the weird nut she found on the ground.
I am convinced it is a terrible idea.

2 comments:

  1. How would you describe the air quality in Pastores? In Antingua? I see in the "scenic view" what looks like smoke from an open fire in the distance. Does it get trapped in the valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would generally describe the air quality as bad. Even though I live in a rural area there seems to be more apparent pollution than what I have experiences in the U.S.. I'm sure that this is because it is more hidden in the U.S., but still. Burning trash is abundant (there is no trash pick-up in my town) and the vast majority of the cars and busses billow smoke as they pass by.

      Delete