Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Sunday, March 3, 2013

La Caminata De Paz

Today I walked in the 'caminata de Paz.' This was an event that was organized through the church but was not only religious - it also had a social message. World peace & anti-domestic violence. My host parents are super involved in the church (my host father helped plan this event). Around 600-800 people (a lot of them kids) participated in the walk. It was a really cool experience. Everyone wore a white shirt and we held white flags. It was my first Guatemalan rally!! The Peace Corps mandates that we are not to get involved in any political demonstrations, but I couldn't imagine that the PEACE Corps would have a problem with a walk for PEACE.

Tonight for dinner we had a hot dog...and rice and beans and tortillas. Apparently one of their daughters sells hot dogs out of the house every Sunday. It was actually really good. It was cut up into slices and on a good crusty bread and had condiments on it. Tomato sauce here is called 'salsa dulce' or sweet sauce. Also my host mom thought the literal translation of 'hot dogs' in spanish was hilarious - 'perros calientes.'

"For a Pastores in peace" and "united for peace"
Watching the procession 

4 comments:

  1. So what is the term in Spanish for what we call a hot dog if not perro caliente?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here with your Mom, Carol, Ann, Kathy and Stu. Love hearing about the procession. Keeping this comment short... I tried posting last night and it evaporated into the ether.

    ReplyDelete